San Francisco, CA
16-18 May 1997
Organizers: Marilyn Ivy (Columbia U) and Sylvia Yanagisako (Stanford U)
First Plenary Session:
• Roger Rouse (U Michigan) "Telling Fortunes:Corporate Visons of A Global Future"
• Arturo Escobar (U Massachusetts, Amherst) "Globalization of Postdvelopment: Noncapitalist Economies and Culturs in the Neo-Liberal Age"
• Susan Harding (UC Santa Cruz) "Updating Bible Prophecy."
Second Plenary Session:
• Brinkley Messick (U Michigan) "Millennium East"
• Rosalind Morris (Columbia U) "Catastrophic Time in Northern Thailand"
• Paul Rabinow (UC Berkeley): "Secede and Assemble: On Ready-Mades"
Vicente Raphael (UC San Diego) was the moderator of both sessions.
• "The End of the Millenium Capitalism," led by Aihwa Ong (UC Berkeley)
• "Histories of the Future," led by Susan Lepselter.
• Donna Haraway (UC Santa Cruz) "Modest_Witness@Second_Millennium.Transgenic Impieties for Trying Times."
"Anthropological Futures" led by James Clifford (UC Santa Cruz)