The Society for Cultural Anthropology (SCA) is pleased to accept applications for its 2021–2023 Graduate Student Representative (SR). The SR serves as the voice on behalf of students to the SCA’s Executive Board. As part of their volunteer duties, the society’s Student Representative also co-coordinates the SCA’s Contributing Editors Program with its Publications Manager.
We are looking for an early career scholar with a demonstrated passion for service to a vibrant academic community with a public, global reach. Priorities for the 2021–2023 term will include 1) furthering SCA’s growing commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion; and 2) developing an outreach strategy and new range of programming for SCA’s graduate student members.
The Student Representative is more than a service position. As a voting member of SCA’s Executive Board, the SR helps shape the direction of one of the American Anthropological Association’s most innovative, largest sections. SRs develop professional relationships with SCA board members and leadership experience in managing a large, complex volunteer program. Representatives are also provided reimbursement up to $750/year for travel to AAA’s annual meeting for 2022 and 2023. They may also contribute to Fieldsights, SCA’s online publication platform, via the Contributing Editors Program.
Current graduate students in social/cultural anthropology and related disciplines who are members of SCA can apply by emailing Paul Christians (2019–2021 SCA Student Representative) at [email protected] the following:
- A current CV
- A summary of involvement in SCA and/or its Contributing Editors Program, along with any Fieldsights publications (<300 words)
- A statement of interest (<500 words)
Deadline: October 8, 2021
The SCA continues to develop our commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Membership in SCA is required of Student Representatives. However, we also recognize that many emerging scholars doing social-cultural research are not located within anthropology departments and/or North American institutions. We especially welcome applications from grad students in Black, Indigenous, and Latinx studies; other relevant departments; and those working multimodally.
- Work with Publications Manager to co-coordinate Contributing Editors Program;
- Schedule and lead regular meetings with Section Editors;
- Organize events at AAA’s annual conference, which typically include a series of student-faculty workshops and the annual CE meeting;
- Attend SCA events at AAA annual meeting, including SCA business and board meetings (as well as events organized by the Student Representative);
- Participate in SCA board meetings and submit a report regarding the CE program at fall and spring meetings
- Coordinate the annual Bateson Book Forum
- Coordinate faculty-CE mentoring programs such as the annual article development workshop
- Coordinate the biennial call and training for new Contributing Editors (during even-numbered years), in collaboration with the Section Editors and Publication Manager
- Develop and implement an outreach strategy for SCA’s graduate student members
- Develop and conduct new programs for SCA’s graduate student members in concert with Contributing Editors and board members
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work in a collegial, constructive way with fellow board members
- Must be able to attend the AAA annual meeting in 2021, 2022, and 2023, as well as SCA spring board meetings in 2022 and 2023 (whether virtually or in person)
- Must be a current graduate student for the duration of time in the position
- Must be an SCA member; prior experience as a Contributing Editor is beneficial but not required
From the submitted applications, a sub-committee of the current President, President Elect, Publications Manager, and current Student Representative will select one or more applicants for further evaluation. This may include an informal interview via Zoom before a final selection is made.
Please direct any additional questions about the position or the application process to Paul Christians, 2019–2021 SCA Student Representative, at [email protected]. We welcome your application!